Saturday, May 10, 2008

why labels suck...

So, NBC is running a tv special - America's Favorite Mom. Now, here comes the rant....

There are four categories of mothers for which one can vote. Yesterday, the categories were - military mom, working mom, single mom, and non-mom mom. It is the description of non-mom mom that sent an up-roar through the adopting community. The non-mom mom is:
Grandparent, stepmom, or mom to adopted children, each one raising and loving a
child. A priceless gift for everybody.
Wait....so NBC is now telling me that I am a non-mom, or was as of yesterday. Today the non-mom mom label has been changed to adoptive mom. But I still find that insulting. Why do I need a separate label - I am just as much a mother as the working mom (which I also am), the military mom, and the single mom (which I also am). Is this NBC's way of saying that I cannot compete with the other three categories? That these other women do something I don't when it comes to motherhood. I am rather sure that like me, they change diapers, do laundry, dry tears, deal with toddler meltdowns, mete out discipline...you know, all the duties of a mom.

At the end of the day...I am nothing but Anna's Mommy, which is a label I willingly except.

Done ranting....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard about this new show on NBC and I'm glad I haven't!! What a crock of you know what!! An adoptive Mom IS A MOM...PERIOD!! I'm soooo with you on this rank!

PS: Anna looks sooo flippen cute in these Pix!!
Janelle