Sunday, May 25, 2008

nature v. nurture...

There are many things Anna does that I wonder if that is her nature or a result of being raised by me.

As an only child, she is very good about sharing and waiting her turn. That doesn't mean that she and Jake don't get into jealous matches to see who can take up the most of my lap (or get the whole lap space first) when I sit on the floor. But at daycare or on play dates, she is very good about sharing and taking turns. Examples - when we went the park with neighbor K (who is 6 months younger than Anna), Anna was very verbal when it was K turn to slide. Another time, when Anna's bff, M, was having a meltdown because Anna was pulling the wagon, Anna returned the wagon to M. So, is it her nature or the values I am instilling or both?

Anna's fashion sense. She loves wearing two pony tails (please don't call them piggie tails - because that will cause an argument with her). Her new thing is to have the two pony tails braided. Anna loves wearing dresses, with matching shorts or Capri tights. I have to admit, I cannot remember that last time I wore two pony tails (probably about her age) or a dress (maybe Dustin and Jessica's wedding, when I was a bridesmaid).

Anna's stubbornness - Dorf is convinced that is nurture and she gets that from me. To me, that coin is still in the air.

There are times when she does something and I wonder if she would have been given the same chance or done the same thing if she was still in China, whether with her birth family or in the orphanage.

These are mysteries I will just have to live with, since I will never have answers.

No comments: