Here is situation..
We moved out of the rental on September 4 - but our official last day was September 6.
Under Missouri state law, a landlord is suppose to do the following two items within 30 days of the end of a tenant's lease: 1) invite the tenant to accompany the landlord in an inspection of the property for damages and 2) return tenant's security deposit minus amounts held for damages (above and beyond everyday wear and tear).
So, it is now 42 days since we moved out, the rental has been rented and is now occupied, and neither of the two items above happened. I do know that the landlord told his wife that the rental was so clean that he thought I had hired someone. I didn't, just spent a few hours cleaning and mopping myself silly - and distracting myself from having just learned about Remmie's death.
I have e-mailed the landlord a couple of times, but haven't heard anything back.
So, do I continue trying to e-mail, escalate to calling him once a week (I really don't want to be a stalker or nuisance), or just file a small claims action (which should get me double my security deposit - or so the law says that is to what I would be entitled.) Take the poll at the side.
P.S. I also doubled checked with the post office that it doesn't have any mail for us...and the landlord has our new address, because I gave it to him several times (at least three times) and his wife was the agent representing me when I bought the new house.
No comments:
Post a Comment