I have been thinking about this story for a few days. Young Chinese girl pines for her twin.
To paraphrase the story...This little girl's twin was allegedly taken illegally by province officials in 2002 at the age of 20 months. She was adopted out internationally, the mother believes to the US. The child was apparently taken to the Shaoyang orphanage.
So, I have been thinking "what would I do if Anna was this missing twin?" My first reaction would probably be fear - the fear of losing my child. But after that initial reaction I would have to begin to think what would be the best of Anna. I would want to initiate contact with the birth family and would, therefore, step forward.
Here is why I would step forward:
1) Anna deserves to know about her birth family.
2) What if I didn't and Anna learned later in life I didn't give her this option. The fallout would not be pretty.
3) I would want the birth family to know that Anna is doing well and thriving with me (I would love for them to know that right now.)
At the moment, I am sitting at the kitchen counter looking into the family room and watching Anna watch Charlie and Lola (I love that show). She is ready for bed in new pajamas and bundled up in a pink blanket. All I can think - "life is so surreal. This is my daughter. I was chosen to be her mommy. Why did the CCAA worker decide we would be a good match? What about me influenced this match? What about her influenced this match?" Questions without answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment