Three years ago today we became a family. I remember the crowded plan ride from Beijing to Chongqing and the bus ride into the Mountain City. I remember doing the paperwork and my friend S (another parent) being put out with her daughter being called an orphan. In her mind, the little girl was not an orphan but her daughter. I remember the bus pulling up and stop about around the block for the Civil Affairs building. I also remember snapping a picture of the building
I remember being one of the last off the bus, one of the last into the building, and being in one of the last elevators going up. You see the offices was on the fourth floor, there were two elevators and each held about 4 adults. There were 27 of us who had to get to the fourth floor - you can do the math from there. Anyways, mom and I were one of the last groups up.
I get off the elevator and walk through the doors of Civil Affairs Office to see all the beautiful babies. Some where dressed in orange, others in yellow and a few in pink. Orphanage staff were holding some of the babies, while the others were in little walkers. It was surreal. I was trying to figure out which one was Anna, but no luck. My referral pictures were of a 4 month old baby girl and even updated pictures were two months out of date. So, I had to wait for them to call my name.
Finally, Genie, our FTIA guide, called out my name and I moved forward to receive my little girl. Anna was dressed in a pink outfit and, as I learned later, had just been awaken from a nap. It seems my little girl who hates to take naps and go to bed at night time, was napping away on a couch in the office when the first group arrived upstairs.
After we received the babies, we completed the adoption process, which included signing official documents, having pictures taken, and come finger printing. Within less than two hours I was a mommy. Such a wonderful day.
The following show how that little baby has grown-
Anna, age 8 months in China
Anna, age 8 months in China
Anna, age 18 months at Indianapolis Zoo
Anna, age 2 and 6 months - Jefferson City, Missouri

No comments:
Post a Comment