Wednesday, December 3, 2008

And now back to our regularly scheduled holiday...

The last two days have been a little nerve racking in our household. It is at times like these that I do wish there was a husband or serious boyfriend in the picture and/or that we were still in Indy. I could have used a little extra support. But truthfully, I love being a single mom - because the control freak in me is in charge of all major decisions (except for those the princess makes).

On Monday, Anna went in for her annual physical. She loved running around the exam room in only her underwear. Her new pediatrician is great and Anna warmed up to her quickly. One of the things I asked about was about testing Anna for kidney stones due to the tainted formula scandal in China. Several large international adoption clinics have suggested testing children who have been adopted within the last three years. I took an article in for the pediatrician to read, which she did. She then suggested going with a simple urine analysis test.

Anna did great with peeing in the cup. And hasn't stop talking about peeing a cup since Monday. I figure if I don't make a big deal, sooner or later this conversation topic will die on its own. Anyway, the urine analysis showed she was fine for kidney functions, but there were elevated compounds for liver function. As a precaution, the pediatrician ordered a complete metabolic panel test, which required a blood draw.

Yesterday, Anna and I went to the hospital to have her blood drawn. Before hand, we talked about how the vet had taken blood from Jake two weeks ago at his appointment. And that the doctor needed to do the same with Anna to make sure she was healthy. Yeah, I am comparing a vet appointment to her appointment, but it worked and she wasn't nervous. Which is good, because goodness knows that I was. Anna was a trooper. While she cried, she didn't try to fight the procedure and laid on the table while her blood was taken.

Results came back today, she is fine. Normal kidney and liver functions, so no more tests and I can get back into enjoying the holidays. I might actually sleep through the night tonight - something I have not done the last two nights.

So, while I think I am holding my own in single motherhood - at times the support of a husband/boyfriend would be appreciated. Or if not that, being back in Indy where I have large support network. Someday, we'll hopefully have both - so, Teresa, Beth, Janelle and the rest of you Indy people cannot move. :)

1 comment:

Pack & Pride of Kristie said...

Glad to hear that Anna's tests came back normal.
You, Anna, and Jake are in my thoughts. Hope you have a GREAT Christmas!